> n...@... wrote:
> ...and everyone thought I was nuts for using a Regency
> scanner as a deviation monitor & signal generator.
> Bob NO6B

Well, it's not just because of that...
Sorry Bob... I couldn't help myself...
:-)

I myself also tried using the Bearcat, Radio Shack, Uniden and
GRE Scanners as rough test equipment... but I could only get
relative accuracy at best. The deviation meter indication was
not ultra stable or precise but it was kind of neat to look
at. Still... when I had a lot more time and not much money
(still not much money) they were relatively usable for ham
applications.

Interesting to learn Helper was able to tame a Bearcat Scanner
PLL enough to make it into a viable test instrument.

The Bearcat 210 series scanners at the time seemed to have a
mondo strong VCO chain/PLL output... easily heard outside the
box and (I'm told) was very much fun being possibly used for
a short time to jam a nearby grouchy old ham on 2 meters if
an outside antennae was used.

And you learned not all scanner receiver IF frequencies
were 10.7 MHz.

Other Neat'o scanner mod tricks I found, tried, and used were
the added SSB BFO circuit (and separate detected output), COS/COR
logic outputs, buffered discriminator output, external frequency
converter & frequency steering logic and low current DC outputs
(which I still use to this day).

I spent a fair amount of time inside 70's and 80's vintage Radio
Shack Scanners to add out of normal frequency range and external
rx-converter operation. What often starts life as one type of
communications device can often be used for many other functions.

And of course many hams in early attempts to construct a repeater
hopes his/her scanner receiver will work in the application... only
in most cases to be sorely disappointed. Early Radio Shack Scanners
were easy to mod because the Service Manuals could be fairly
easily obtained.

cheers,
s.