At 12/25/2008 12:06, you wrote:

> > n...@... wrote:
> > ...and everyone thought I was nuts for using a Regency
> > scanner as a deviation monitor & signal generator.
> > Bob NO6B
>
>Well, it's not just because of that...
>Sorry Bob... I couldn't help myself...
>:-)
>
>I myself also tried using the Bearcat, Radio Shack, Uniden and
>GRE Scanners as rough test equipment... but I could only get
>relative accuracy at best. The deviation meter indication was
>not ultra stable or precise but it was kind of neat to look
>at. Still... when I had a lot more time and not much money
>(still not much money) they were relatively usable for ham
>applications.

Deviation measurement using a scanner is inaccurate unless some mods are
done to the RX.  I made 2 mods to mine.  One was removing the 455 kHz IF
filter so that the incoming deviation wasn't shaped in any way by the
IF.  The other, on advice of Burt K6OQK, was to load the discriminator coil
with resistance so as to flatten the response at the expense of
discriminator output level.  After performing these two mods it was
compared against an IFR 1200 or 1500 (can't remember which) service monitor
& found to be quite close.

Bob NO6B