You may find that after the PL signal goes through the modulator, the
distortion is even lower. It also probably doesn't matter too much; 1% is still
40dB down. You probably don't know (yet) what component is producing that
little bit of signal either; it could be some high-frequency noise coming out
of the circuit itself, rather than actual distortion of the sine wave or an
actual harmonic of the PL tone. If the reed is being overdriven in an attempt
to make sure it oscillates, it could be bumping into something inside and
causing distortion that way. Don't they use wide-band noise to get the reed
going in the first place?

Some synthesized radios (i.e. MaxTracs) use two output lines from the
microprocessor that get summed in a two-resistor D/A converter. This feeds a
low-pass filter before joining the modulation path. The filtering has to allow
for all PL tones up to about 250 Hz, but it doesn't have to be flat; radio
alignment can make up for some of that. Yet the PL tone is fairly pure.

MSF5000s use a four-bit D/A converter for their PL encoder, so I would expect
it to be even more pure than a MaxTrac. Spectras and GTXs do everything inside
an IC, so only "The Minds of Motorola" truly know what goes on in them.

Every time I try to measure the distortion of a MaxTrac's transmit audio, I
find it to be in the 3% range, even with low levels of modulation, at 400 and
1000 Hz. Since you're in California, I'm sure your readings will be lower!

Sounds like a bit more research and investigation is in order. Could be a nice
topic for a Repeater-Builder article.

Bob M.
======