Bob,

I am very pleased to see that I am not the only one studying this issue!  I
got started on this track by evaluating the waveform purity of backup power
systems, AKA "mini-UPS", that sum several frequencies to approximate a 60 Hz
sine wave.  Such devices produce very crude approximations of a sine wave,
and some equipment doesn't work too well when fed that power.

Depending upon the technology used, and the intelligence used in the design,
a PL tone generator can range from a square-wave oscillator to a nearly-pure
sine wave oscillator.  As Kevin has pointed out numerous times on this list,
a PL tone that is audible to a repeater user may be the result of
distortion, as well as over-deviation.  I always set PL deviation to the
400-500 Hz range, but still hear a buzz when some radios transmit.  As
expected, some inexpensive radios from Asia seemed to be far more prone to
"PL tone buzz" than commercial radios.  Based upon my limited
experimentation to date, I have found that the really cheap handheld radios
use a CTCSS generation technique that results in greater distortion than the
technique used in high-tier commercial radios.

I'm not sure how beneficial to the repeater community this knowledge will
be, but I personally feel that minimizing distortion of audio signals within
a repeater system is a good thing.  I am still stunned that a reed tone
board has more than twice the distortion of a digital tone board.
Conventional wisdom would predict that a tuning fork design would produce a
pure sine wave.  As Bob suggests, the distortion in the reed board may be
caused by excessive feedback, and that's a topic for further study.  Any
ideas why the reed has more distortion in one orientation than in the other?

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY