> I have a Motorola Maxar, plate number D31TRA2300AK
> I scanned through the Repeater builder site and didn't
> find many hits on the model.
>
> I want to put this on 6M - any experience on how difficult
> it would be to insert a 6M crystal set/realign?
> Any thoughts or referrals would be most appreciated

The Maxar Radios do go out of band ... but when you travel
farther from the design as-built range mods become much
more intense. In specific the receiver pre-selector and
some of the (injection) stages become cumbersome to optimize
any distance from square one.  But I've done or been involved
with a few UHF Conversions and they do make fairly bullet
proof radios for our past packet radio work (even at 9600
baud).

If you have a high range 42-50 MHz (as an example) radio you
might be able to move it into the lower end of the 6 meter
band... but probably not easily into the higher 3MHz section
without serious modifications.

> The Maxar is a low-end, economy radio that may be difficult
> to convert to 6m.

Actually... the Moxy was the low-end model... the Maxar Radios
came in a few different flavors and they were not cheap or
considered low tier by any means... well maybe when held against
some of Motorhead's really high end (expensive) radios. Maxar
radios are/were solid fairly well designed radios...

> If you buy your crystals from a reputable house like ICM,
> they will come with an appropriate compensation capacitor
> to provide rough temperature compensation- but it still
> drifts far more than a good channel element would.

Yeah but if you order the crystal right... it's more than good
enough... especially at/in low band.

> I bought a 2-channel MaxTrac (D51MJA93A5AK) two years ago,
> and paid $35 for it- one of the best deals I've ever made!

It is/was a very, very good deal...

Some of the Vertex FTL-1011 low band radios are also "sleepers".
Dealing with the software is a potential cluster... but it can
be sorted out and made to work.

If you find/buy the Kenwood TK-6110 low band mobile I'll tell
you how to make it cover 29.5 to 54 MHz with excellente'
performance. (... of course as a Kenwood Dealer I'm biased).

If you can get the Maxar cheap and you have the time and patience
of job... you can get it up on 6 meters. But some of us are asking
how practical that is when some of the newer programmable radios
can be had for nearly a song (fairly cheap compared to their
original cost).

cheers,
skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com