I'm going to suggest another "Poor man's voter"
despite the probability that someone, somewhere,
has already done so.

I was thinking you might go ahead & build your
2nd rcv site with a one way link to the main tx.

However, you would rely on the link activation
to "vote" the rx signal into the tx audio path.

In operation, the link rx at the main site will
force an audio gate to route the link rx audio
to the main tx.

A careful setting of the squelch at the remote
rx will allow the main site rx to do most of the
work but when the main site isn't hearing the
portables well enough, the remote rx will. This
is when the link audio gets switched in.

There'll be a period of trial & error tweaking
of the remote's squelch but it can be done.You'll
still want to make efforts to equalize the audio
freq responses of all paths involved. I'm sure
you can find a way to make the switching fast.

Its not an ideal solution but it keeps operation
mostly transparant to the users.  ie. They don't
need to remember to change PL's or channels.

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Kelsey" <wb2...@...>