In my opinion, a large part of the "DTV problem" is the fact that so many TV
stations are changing the RF channel for their broadcast. Many are changing
tower locations and antenna elevations as well. These stations decided to
keep this information essentially to themselves. Their feeling was that the
new tuners will find them - after all it's all automatic. And the coverage
prediction maps made them "feel good" because most of the time the contours
were very similar. Big mistake on their part.

However, we hams all know that different bands (VHF vs. UHF) propigate
differently, especially when there are hills. Today's general public doesn't
typically understand much of this, nor do many of them care - until their
favorite channel goes away.

Then there's the problem of digital's "all or nothing" reception. As we all
know, with analog, the picture can get fairly bad, but the viewer can still
watch it. With digital, a little bit of noise (maybe a snowmobile going by)
and the signal just goes away. And it doesn't take a whole lot to experience
drop outs. My wife sees every one of those pixilations, freezes and audio
drops outs and proclaims "I hate this new TV." Give her an analog picture
and she'd be happy watching snow. Go figure.

>From what I've read, much of Europe utilizes a different DTV format than
North America, and it sounds like it works better. That figures, doesn't it?

Those are my observations anyway. When it works, it's great. When it
doesn't, you're probably going to pay for a dish or cable. I've been
watching DVT for almost two years now. I'm disappointed to see all the
problems and confusion, but I'm not at all surprised.

Chuck