As to MSNs ....

The 43MSN high band mobile was the first all solid
state Motorola mobile transmitter.  It was the first
radio labeled Motran and was a direct swapout of the
Motrac - same cable, same head, same everything.
The center chassis section that held the T-supply
in the Motrac was all empty space.

The 44MST came along later and was based on the
same basic design (and came in 4 freq and 12 freq
models).
In the 4-freq models transmit F1-F4 was in the exciter,
receive F1 and F2 were in the receiver chassis, the
receive F3 and F4 channel elements were in a corner
of the open center area.
The 12 freq was developed for the mobile telephone
industry and was labeled MARK XII. It was the first
binary switched radio in the Moto lineup.
It was all 12v - the open center section of the chassis
held the additional 18 channel elements.

The high power 74MST was a 4 freq UHF MOTRAN
(and used a 28volt PA deck run by a 12-to-28 transistorized
switching power supply in the center section) along with
the receive F3 and F4 channel elements.

To get back to the topic, his station has an M series
receiver, and an S series exciter that puts out about
20-30w on UHF.  It's loosely based on the 74MST design
but less the finals, I forget if the MST driver (the final of
his exciter) is a 12v stage or a 28v stage.

Mike WA6ILQ