Just watch the power dissipation.  You wouldn't
want to risk melting the coax.  There's next to no
cooling - conduction, convection or radiant from a
sealed paint can.

My rule of thumb - figure what the attenuator is
going to dissipate - let's say that you are going
to take a 20 watt transmitter and knock it down
2 watts.  That's 18 w of dissipation.  Double the
number to account for some safety factor (makes
36w), then round the number up to the next larger
light bulb (60w in this case).

Mount a ceramic socket to the underside of the lid
using a screw into a hole you can re-use later as
one of the coax connector mounting holes.
Use a coax connector center hole for the18ga
wires to the light bulb socket then stuff some steel
wool into the hole to plug it.  Use a variac to
set the bulb to dissipate 36w.  Run it overnight.

Once it stabilizes can you place the palm of your hand
flat onto the side of the can and count to 20?  If not, it's
too hot and you need to go to a larger can (with more
surface area).  Maybe a 2.5 gallon can (rare, but they
exist), or a 5 gallon can.
A coat of flat black paint will help radiate the heat.

Once your attenuator configuration passes the palm
test, remove the lamp socket and the wiring, then
mount the coax connectors and the coax.

Mike