At 6/2/2009 05:22, you wrote:

>All that glitters is not gold...
>
>If you sweep the typical Comet, Hustler and Diamond Multi-band
>antennas... you'll find they are fairly limited in band width
>and rarely cover an entire Amateur Band Segment with decent
>SWR (reflected power, return loss) values. They work fairly
>well for many people in casual FM service but you might find
>your repeater operates at one portion of the band where the
>SWR value is not pretty...
>
>As an example, the SWR of a Comet & Hustler Multi-band Antenna
>I have here is not a decent, what I deem a usable value at the
>low end of the 440 to 450 Amateur Band... Even with a decent
>circulator / isolator panel in for protection I would be
>wary.

Not sure what you consider "usable", but I haven't had any bandwidth
problems with Comet antennas.  I just checked my GP9 antenna at home & the
return loss is <=20 dB (1% reflected power) from 444 to 450 MHz.  It does
go up a bit from there: 3% @ 443 MHz, 4% @ 442 MHz, & 5% @ 441 & 440
MHz.  2 meters is similarly good: <1% from 146 to 148, 2.5% @ 145 MHz, 4% @
144.5 MHz.  BTW, it's being fed with 30' of 1/2" Heliax so negligible loss
between the Bird & antenna.

I once bought a "Comet knockoff" at the swap meet a few years ago that was
obviously a 430-440 cut antenna even though it was labeled 440-450, as it
had very high reflected power at the top end of the band.  Perhaps that is
what you had.

Bob NO6B