What radios do you plan on using? Some radios already have this capability
such as the Kenwood TM-V7A which I use for crossband repeater all the time
at 50/35watts
 If you are planning on a base station system and not portable there is also
software out that will allow you to use your computer as the controller. One
piece that jumps to mind is echostation.
 If you have any decent skills in schematic reading and building of systems,
you would be better to go with a COS connection for the PTT as this will be
much easier to control then a VOX system as it seams many are trying this
now.

 The biggest issue really is how do you plan on IDing the system? the rules
do not say you have to use a controller or any device to ID for you, so a
voice ID by you is acceptable, but know the limits of your HT or mobile
station if that is the plan so that you dont leave the repeater in an
unattended operation. I use manual ID method at this time, but I also have
another local ham who is always willing to step in for me or wife as a
control op for my system when I cant be.

 Remember if it fails in the on air mode it is your lic. and responsibilty
to fix it quickly, which for many of us that means shut the power off and
restart the sytem, and then figure out why it failed.

 Also I would not suggest to leave it on while you are sleeping as again
this would be an unattended operation, and if someone brings it up even
accidentaly it is your job to ensure it is IDed and operates within your
lic.