Bill,

I am another third of that network trio from this past weekend.  I think
it has worked flawlessly for the past 5 days but for an AT&T ISP issue.

The repeaters are essentially plug-N-play.  Each repeater is capable of
being the server (called Master) and the other 14 repeaters (15 max per
network) are known as Peers.  Only the Master repeater needs a static IP
address and the Master can be anywhere in the network of repeaters.
This is nice as good hilltops tend to have pricey Internet rates for the
cheapest level of service.  The Master must have have 32k of bandwidth
for each repeater on the system, 10 repeaters would require 320k of
uplink bandwidth so 512k uplink speed would be adequate.  Not demanding
at all.

Early returns are very good.  It's very nice not to have a computer to
support Echolink or IRLP, simply plug ethernet into the back of the
repeater, no additional hardware is required.  Obvious downside is that
only the digital mode of the repeater supports IP Site Connections.
Analog is available but not both modes at the same time.  But the
minimum version of 1.04 supports both the IPSC and channel steering
which allow remote switching between modes.  This allows conventional
operation with current ham and commercial gear and the MotoTRBO modes on
the digital side.

My repeater will be located in a very rural area of Washington state,
where VHF is king, some UHF and almost no use of 800 and 900.  I will be
a digital system of one likely for many years.  So my system will be
called into analog mode on demand by my current users.  I plan to use an
analog radio listening on the input for the correct PL with a bit of
logic for timing and priorities that will put it back in digital mode
after a short period of inactivity.

I feel that MotoTRBO will take off as more hams get the boxes up and
running.  The users will need radios and of course, that will slow
implementation.  But it works and works well with a minimum of set-up
and ancilliary costs (beyond the radios of course).  We are learning
more each day as we play with the mirad of features.

Digital is so very different and it's a blast too.  For almost 40 years
I've chased the Motorola product line...about 10-30 years behind as the
old stuff was surplused out.  For once, it's nice to be played with a
current product line.  It's well worth checking out if you are seriously
looking for dependable Internet linking of repeaters and all the cool
data stuff that comes with the TRBO package.

-- Mike, WB6WUI, Costa Mesa, CA and Winthrop, WA

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "William Becks" <wbe...@...>