From: Eric Lemmon
Date: 7/07/2009 10:40:41
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Ctcss dropout due to loud voice

Ian,

I suspect that the problem is "talk off" caused by overdeviation of the mike
audio. When the CTCSS tone is mixed with the mike audio prior to the
deviation limiter stage, an excessive voice signal will be hard limited
along with the CTCSS tone, causing a distorted signal. This problem occurs
quite often in Amateur-grade equipment, since the makers often have very
"hot" tone deviation that is set with a fixed resistor rather than
adjustable as in most commercial-grade radios. Alinco, Icom, and Yaesu
handhelds seem to have this problem all the time. Every Alinco handheld
I've tested has a PL deviation above 1 kHz, and a few samples were up to 1.5
kHz- about three times the necessary amount. Needless to say, a tone
deviation of 1.5 kHz doesn't leave much room for voice deviation, and all it
takes is a loud talker to cause the limiter to "squash" the modulating
signal and distort the CTCSS tone enough for the repeater to drop. It's not
easy, but I have padded the CTCSS tone circuit in several Alinco and Yaesu
radios to reduce the level to less than 500 Hz deviation, and that cures the
problem. Most modern repeaters can detect a tone as low as 100 Hz
deviation, so setting the tone between 400 and 500 Hz should work fine.

Of course, there are "diddle-stick artists" who can't resist cranking up the
mike gain pot so that they will "sound better" (they think) and make the
problem worse. In order to stay within a 16K0F3E emission envelope, the
total deviation should be limited to around 4.8 kHz. Most commercial-grade
radios reduce the voice gain when a tone is added, but cheap radios aren't
that smart. If the total deviation is limited to, say, 4.8 kHz, but a tone
is not used, the voice deviation will sound softer. I suspect that the
diddle-stick artist cranks up the gain to offset that low level.

I suggest that you set the CTCSS deviation to 500 Hz, and ensure that the
deviation limiter is set no higher than 5.0 kHz. See if that reduces or
eliminates the talk-off problems. The Maxon service manual should have a
procedure for mike gain and limiter setting, which should be followed. The
fact that only some users have the problem strongly points to the user
radios, rather than the repeater. Also, ensure that the problem radios are
exactly on frequency. Please keep this list informed as to your findings
and progress.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY