I second Jeff's comments.

The 8920A/B series are much better than almost all IFR monitors, with the
exception being the COM120B. To put it in simple terms, the HP 8920 is the
Cadillac of monitors, while the COM120B is the Mercedes.

I've owned a Motorola 2670A, an HP 8920A, and an IFR COM120B.  The 120B is by
far the best service monitor. It is the most flexible, especially when setting
up repeater links and multiple-banded systems. It also has an excellent
analyzer and oscilloscope function.  But when they break, be prepared to be
raped by IFR/Aeroflex. Either them or nobody. Just try finding tech docs on the
web for an IFR. On the other hand, the HP tech docs are easily found on
Agilent's web site, among other places, and there are many folks like Amtronix
who are happy to sell you a replacement module, or repair your unit for you at
reasonable rates.

I'll give you a prime example- one of my field tech's COM120B recently died.
Sent it to Aeroflex. Bad power supply, and a few other minor issues. They
wanted almost $4k to repair it. I called and spoke to their supervisor, in an
attempt to have him justify the high cost. In so many words, I told them to
keep it, and turned around and bought my tech a clean loaded HP 8920A for
around $2500.  And even that price was high, as I bought it with a recent
calibration and decent warranty from a reputable equipment broker. But for ham
use, there have been some awesome deals on eBay lately. I've seen decent
well-equipped 8920As (HS,signaling, tracking gen, etc) going for $1500 or less.
And 8920Bs are going for less than $2500 at times. Don't worry too much about a
unit having recent calibration - I've compared units last calibrated in 1999
against recently calibrated units (including a brand new GD unit) and they were
all close enough for simulcast work. Not enought to justify calibration costs
for most work.

The secret is to not be in a rush - check eBay regularly, and you'll find a
decent HP every now and then.  Or if the budget allows, you can regularly find
a nice IFR COM120B for around $3-4k (depending on options). With the current
economy and job market, the prices on test equipment has eroded greatly in
recent months.

Eric
KE2D