From: Eric Lemmon <wb6...@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Sinclair Q202 duplexers (frankenstein series)
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, July 27, 2009, 4:51 PM

                  Norm,

A Polyphaser does not put a DC ground on the center conductor of the

feedline- nor does any other inline arrestor of any brand, except a

quarter-wave shorted stub.  But that is impractical at 2m.  My point was

simply that a single bandpass cavity on either the TX or the RX side,

between the duplexer and the antenna tee, will put a DC ground on the

feedline at the transmitter end.  Most antennas are DC grounded, but a lot

can happen to that feedline between the antenna and the duplexer.  One 2m

repeater I have on a hilltop suffered a lot from wind-caused static

discharges (aka triboelectric charging) until I put a single bandpass cavity

on the receive side.  My intent was to prevent desense from the adjacent FM

broadcast station, but the static elimination was a bonus.

Regarding the determination of high pass versus low pass, this is usually

determined by the design of the duplexer.  Some designs are symmetrical,

while others are asymmetrical.  In most cases, the loop coupling will be

different between the high side and the low side, so it is convenient to

simply follow the manufacturer' s settings, and their tuning instructions.

In the case of the Sinclair Q202-G, the loop assemblies are all identical,

and the notch tuning capacitors are the same as well, regardless of which

pass side they're on.

You're correct about bandpass duplexers being unsuitable for the 600 kHz

split at 2m.  However, I have a 8" bandpass duplexer on a commercial

repeater that is using a 5.26 MHz split on VHF, and it works perfectly.  I

specified it because of the antenna being the high point on the tower, and I

wanted DC ground at the duplexer for repeater protection.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY