I turn out that use of CP in urban & suburban areas results in somewhat more
signal strength on linearly polarized antennas, e.g. vertical whips on cars &
straight rod aerials on portable FM radios.   Due to preferential scattering of
vertically polarized sigs from typical urban structures, there tends to be more
of that available, esp. good for auto FM reception.

The Germans for example are more concerned with signal quality than quantity &
so don't use CP.

However, there is a drawback:  there's more multipath.  So the tradeoff was
made--more signal strength but at lesser quality (due to multipath
distortion).  Well designed FM radios reduce separation intelligently in the
presence of multipath:  first they gradually blend the stereo channels into
mono, high audio frequencies L-R info first, then all audio (L+R) is gradually
lowpass filtered.  This happens dynamically, on the fly.  Works well IMO when
done properly.

TV broadcasters tried CP as well but couldn't live the extra multipath:  it was
easily visible as more ghosting.

See for example:  http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/
for more on this.

--John