--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, n...@... wrote:

> At 9/7/2009 09:07, you wrote:
>
> >If I were you, the first thing I would do is to remove the pre-amp. Then,
> >put a GOOD dummy load on the output of the duplexer. Next have one of the
> >helpers walk around with a handheld and go for a walk until they get noisy
> >into the repeater. Next, monitor the local speaker audio and compare it
> >with the repeat audio to see if they are the same. This allows you to
> >determine if the antenna and feedline is working properly.
>
> I'm lost: how does comparing the local repeater RX speaker & repeat audio
> tell you anything about the antenna system?  Perhaps if you turn the TX off
> & on while listening to the local audio you could hear any desense, but you
> don't need repeat audio for that.
>
> Bob NO6B

You're right Bob. After reading that I realized that I forgot to mention to
John to turn off the tx and then listen to the local speaker. The reference to
the antenna and feedline performance was because I was blaming the feedline and
antenna during duplex operation for the cause of the noise.

I should pay closer attention.

John