Tom,
I, too, just downloaded this program and am on the LOW end of the learning
curve too.  I do remember that the first automatic download that I tried,
downloaded an old version of the software, around v.7.6.5 or something like
that, and it didn't work very well.  I then stumbled across an automatic
download for, I think, the newest version (something like 10.0.5) and it worked
very well right off the bat, but, for me at least, the learning curve is still
very steep.  If you have that older version, email me and I'll try to retrace
my steps to find out where I found the newer one.  After I installed that,
locating and installing the elevation data went fairly smoothly. I then tried a
MapQuest grid overlay that also worked fairly well, but that's as far as I got
before I got sidetracked on some other issues and I haven't had a chance to get
back to it as yet.  I also checked out the yahoo groups Radio Mobile site but
it appears that they are all advanced users that were talking WAY over my head.
 Hope this helps somewhat.
Tom DGN