Hi Paul,

As others have also replied with similar information... you
need a different type of programming interface for the TKR-820
and TKR-720 Repeaters, which is called a KPT-50 unit. The KPT-20
might also work for the cause but it's really a very early
interface not normally seen on the use radio market.

Regarding the KPT-50 unit:
Depending on where and how you can find one... they are
relatively expensive (at, near or above the $200 amount). You
can search out a process others have mentioned to remove the
signaling and frequency EEproms and program them yourself
if you have the proper hardware (and software).

I'm a Kenwood Dealer and would program your repeater for free
if you are/were able to get it to our shop here in Northern
California (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous).
I have new and used KPT-50 programmers in stock, but again they
are not super cheap (please contact me off the list direct if
you want more information about buying a KPT-50).

The TKR-820 might go into the Amateur Band with just a front
end realignment, but there are also cases where the VCO's
(there are two) need re-ranging (adjustment). VCO adjustments
would normally require the Kenwood Service Manual, which should
be on/in the Repeater Builder Web Page Archives.

The KPT-50 Programmer operates "stand alone" or you can control
it with the DOS KPG-21d software, which makes life much, much
easier for the programmer person.

A jumper on the Signaling Board enables the Repeater/Base to
use 8 independent combinations of CTCSS or DCS (the industry
names for "PL" and "DPL".

You're always welcome to Email me direct if you need specific
help with your Kenwood (or any brand we service) Questions.
Of course I'll happily respond to your Group Posts here if
Howard can stand it...  :-)

cheers,
skipp
skipp025 at yahoo.com