Ok, I give up.

What's a(n) xl double double timmies?  Maybe I'll learn something here.

Don, KD9PT

----- Original Message -----
  From: va3r...@gmail.com
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: TKR-820

  I was very lucky when I got mine I got the programmer given
  To me by an old kenwood shop

  If he ever needs it I will pop it over to him

  Very good guy who does not mind hams as long
  As that don't bug him.  And when you pop over have a xl double double timmies
for him

  Border Collies Smartest Dog's Around

  Sent from my I Phone 8G

  On Sep 22, 2009, at 3:35 PM, "skipp025" <skipp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I have a TKR-720 (VHF), and was successful in reprogramming
    > it for the ham frequencies.
    >
    > However, it is not for the 'faint of heart'.

    Amen from the Choir...

    > 1. There are two EEPROM devices which must be reprogrammed.
    > One for the frequencies, and one for PL.
    >
    > 2. The EEPROM device for the frequencies is soldered to the
    > front panel board. You must unsolder & put a socket in
    > place of it (so you can plug in the re-programmed device).
    >
    > 3. You must make your own EEPROM programmer. It's not all
    > that difficult - just a socket & a couple of easy to get
    > parts.

    You can buy EEprom Programers off Ebay for a song (really
    cheap)... well under $25 by the time the smoke clears.

    > 4. I use a program called PonyProg, which does the actual
    > reading/writing. Another program called XVI32 is used
    > to change the binary file that you downloaded from the
    > original EEPROM. (you shouldn't destroy the original
    > part).

    PonyProg is an excellent program and drives most of the simple
    EEprom Programmers seen for sale on Ebay.

    > 5. I had to re-tune the VCOs - easy procedure, and the
    > schematics/manual for the 720/820 seem to be available
    > in .pdf form around.
    >
    > Anyhow, I went through this procedure about 2 months ago... you
    > can search through the archives for TKR-720, and probably
    > find the thread which included the programmer schematics &
    > 'how to' guide.
    >
    > Having said that, it'd be a lot easier to get something
    > from Skipp!!

    Thanks Tim... but the KPT-50 approx $200 price tag is a bit
    rich for what often works out as a one time reprogram, which
    is why I offer the service free to Hams and GMRS People.

    Glad to read you had success with your "manual EEprom
    reprogramming method". The manual EEprom method is very
    practical for those with the time and patience to go through
    the steps.

    cheers,