Yeah, that is a big issue with those big and heavy ferroresonant power
supplies from GE and Motorola.  At low loads, they are incredibly
inefficient, with very low power factors- meaning the volt-amperes are much
higher than the watts.  Proof of this statement is found in the Files
section of this group, in my Power Supply Load Test folder.

You pay for electric energy in kilowatt-hours, kWh, not for volt-amperes.
Regardless of what the ammeter reads, the Kill-A-Watt reading of 43 watts is
what counts.  If we assume that the repeater sits idle for 24 hours and
consumes 43 watts, that is 1.032 kWh per day- probably 15 cents worth.  I
have one of those Kill-A-Watt meters, as well as some spinning-disk meters,
and they agree very closely.

Electricity suppliers don't like low power factors, because even though the
power consumption may be low, the utility must build their infrastructure to
supply those reactive amperes, meaning bigger generators, transformers, and
power lines.  Large industrial customers are often penalized for low power
factor, to help pay for the additional capital equipment that must be
installed to supply reactive amperes.  That's why new commercial gear is
using power-factor-corrected switchmode power supplies.  The definition of
"high power factor" varies, but most utilities want PF to be above 0.9.

It should be emphasized that one cannot determine power consumed (watts) by
separately measuring volts and amps.  Separate measurements result in
volt-amperes, which is also called "apparent power."  To measure true power,
one must use a wattmeter.  A mechanical wattmeter is called an
electrodynamometer, and is a meter that has two coils- instead of one coil
and a permanent magnet.  One coil is connected in parallel with the load,
and is energized by voltage.  The other coil is much heavier and is
connected in series with the load, and is energized by current.  The torque
on the meter movement is the instantaneous sum of voltage and current in
phase, result in a deflection indicative of power.  An electronic wattmeter
uses a circuit element known as a four-quadrant multiplier, meaning that the
comparison of voltage and current is continuous through 360 degrees.  I have
just such an instrument, a WD-767 digital wattmeter made by VIZ.  It can
display true-RMS volts, true-RMS current, and true power in watts.  Very
handy!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY