Our repeater is coordinated on a given two meter frequency.  Due to terrain and
other factors, we were forced to agree to some interference from a neighboring
repeater, on the same frequency.  The neighboring repeater is located on a peak
roughly 100 miles away from us, and roughly 1800 feet higher in elevation.  The
repeater owner claims an ERP of 55 watts from an omni, however, I can
consistently hear that repeater on my base at my QTH with an s-1 to s-3.

I am transmitting 50w, 2dB loss in connectors, about 1.25 dB loss in feedline
and about +6.5 dBi in antenna gain.  So, I figure my ERP should be about 100
watts (+3dB = double in power, right).  My antenna height is about 35 feet.

So, as a newbie, I am assuming that if I can hear him at s-3, and he is
transmitting 55w ERP, where my ERP is >100w, I should be able to program the
radio with the proper offset and PL tone and get into the repeater.  Is this a
correct assumption? After all, if I can consistently hear him, the path is line
of sight, right?  Due to the difference in altitude, this would make sense.  If
all else is the same, I should be able to bring the repeater up.  Or, is this
repeater putting out much more than 55w ERP?

Thanks!