The paralleled Electrolytic caps into the power supply test
I mentioned is a relatively easy test before one goes in for
a mod. The Spectrum Crowbar Circuit was working and something
obviously changed with age.

Then I would focus my attention to the SCR Crowbar Circuit.

Something not mentioned was... if the SCR circuit fired with
the transmitter into a non-reactive load/termination (dummy
load).