Looking at some DB Products fiberglass radome antennas, they all have a
metal protrusion on the top cap; it looks like bronze perhaps. I presume
that it is some form of lightning mitigation device. Is this just a piece of
metal in the cap, unattached to the internal antenna element?

I'm curious as I need to mount a Maxrad 900 MHz antenna on top of a long
mast on the top of a tower. The tower takes a lightning hit about once a
year. The Maxrad is in PVC tubing and it'd probably be simple to add a
stainless bolt to the top of the antenna if it would do any good.

The previous 3 antennas on top were Comet GP-15's. They have a thin metal
cap on the top of the radome. The first one took a pretty significant hit,
melting part of the cap and making a mess out of the antenna. The second one
took a lesser hit, heating the element enough that it burned thru the
radome. The third strike was even less, just discoloring the fiberglass on
the top 8" of the radome.

I know that I'd be better off with a DB Products antenna, but their weight
likely well exceeds the mast capability for a top antenna (where it needs to
be).

Thoughts???

Thanks,
DOUG