On Nov 10, 2009, at 6:38 PM, larynl2 wrote:

> In-band RF linking on the user input frequencies is a kludge at best. It can
> double with users, and has other timing problems...
> > Nate Duehr, WY0X
> > n...@...
>
> Nate, just a comment on the above. We've used in-band on-channel (IBOC??)
> linking to a nearby repeater for weather nets for many moons now. It has
> worked absolutely great for us. Sure, it's not elegant; a dedicated link is
> probably the better way. And, users are going to double anyway. Can't get
> away from that.
>
> We've not found any timing problems you refer to...
>
> Laryn K8TVZ

Usually the timing problems are related to "bounce-back" on fluttery/weak
signals... signals that usually aren't all that copyable anyway, so it doesn't
affect communications in general.

But go kerchunk an in-band linked system 10 times fast and see if you get all
ten kerchunks on the other end, etc.  You'll see it.  Subtle, but "not right"
from an engineering standpoint.

No big deal.  Just not as "elegant" as dedicated links...

Whatever works.  I wouldn't trust a Public Safety Officer's life to it, but for
ham junk... sure, why not? :-)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com