Scott,
You are not alone in this!! I too have been fighting a problem almost
exactly like this - I've tried different PL tones on RX and TX and that
seemed to keep it from "self-oscillating". Seems to happen more when the
weather is dry and I describe it as a "growl" sound. Happening on a
MSF5000 at a commercial site. We too have numerous broadcast towers
within 2 miles, and lots of Cellular/PCS antennas around. Mine is on
UHF, yours appears to be high-band VHF (from the TKR-750 K2 note).

I'm still working on a resolution, but again for now try either split
tone or remove PL from the transmitter (CSQ). It would keep the repeater
keyed up for several seconds, then drop signal and come back again (as
long as the tail remained with PL output). I've also shortened the hang
timer to 3 seconds to help. It wouldn't bring up the system unless
someone kerchunked it, then it started.

Tony, KT9AC

offtracks1 wrote:

> Thanks for all the post and for the web site and group.
> It's been very helpful to me as I have been setting up my system.
>
> My repeater system is a Kenwood TKR-750 K2, Telwave TPRD-1556 duplexer
> set (6 cavities), A Telwave Isolator on the PA. Running 1/2" Heilax to
> a Andrew DB224E antenna. This a repeater at my home as I am on a small
> hill. The antenna is about 40 feet vertical and 60 feet horizontally
> from the repeater/office.
>
> It works very well but I have had intermod issue that rears its head
> now and then that sounds like rolling pipe or hollow sound. I am
> runing a PL on both TX and RX. This sound opens up the receiver even.
> So my tx pl is getting back into the system. I have hunted down many
> noise makers in the office that could have been helping out. One was
> the Linksys router. I am going to replace it anyway as it makes a ton
> of noise I found. Changing my network from 100 to 10 on the card speed
> also reduced the noise levels.
>
> Still I get the rolling pipe sound now and then and it leaves as fast
> as it shows up. If I use my other antenna a Diamond F22 also fed with
> 1/2 Heliax I also get the same result. I do use a preamp but it also
> seems to not change with or without it. I have even ran it so the
> receive antenna is alone and the transmit is the other (split). I
> still get the rolling pipes now and then.
>
> I do have a FM radio station on 92.1 about 4 miles from me that is
> known to have a sloppy signal. Could it be that this is mixing with my
> system and creating this?
>
> Looking at getting a DCI Band pass filter on the receiver side but I
> am not sure if that is just throwing more money at this project and
> not getting anywhere still.
>
> Just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas?
>
> Scott KB7DZR

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: