The Internet is a shared medium.  A private WAN/LAN commonly utilizes
fiber optic cable or licensed wireless networking to accomplish
connectivity. While private systems can deliver Internet, it is not
(necessarily) THE Internet.  Privately owned facilities like what many
CATV, Phone, Internet, and combinations of them can have dark fiber or
reserved virtual space that cannot get clogged with Internet overhead.
The bottlenecking you might experience with facilities you cannot (do
not) control can (will) be the downfall of such a system - unless a SLA
can be gotten.  A SLA is a service level agreement in which a company
guarantees connectivity - to some degree.  The more reliability the
agreement extends - the higher the cost.

Kevin Custer