On 1/4/2010 5:32 PM, WA3GIN wrote:

Don,
You have pointed out some valid concerns but the world doesn't care...VOIP is cost effective for day to day operations and everyone is going there as fast as they can...the fact that everyone is going there will bring the reliability you indicate is needed, before too long.

And you don't switch the dispatch office over to it until it is.

Just remember the telcos weren't that reliable for decades...

And dispatch offices used RF to avoid them.

but the world is changing and there ain't muc we can do about it except trying to bring the best ideas and concepts to the planning meetings to ensure as best we can that these networks have adequate redundancy, cyber security, etc.

BS. You don't plan to lower quality in a dispatch office. You bring the ideas to the meeting to say, "It's not really ready for us yet, sorry." Or you work a little harder and analyze the redundancy and uptime of the existing system, then do the same analysis on the system you're switching to... and show they're not equal, and ask the public served by the agency the their elected representatives if they can live with that for the cost-savings.

(I haven't seen any tax refunds back because my local 911 dispatch center went to VoIP yet. They haven't, but if they do... I'll enjoy you guys handing back the cash. Yeah, right. Not happening. So keep the money, and do it right please. Last I checked, I'm paying for it.)

Nate WY0X