On Jan 5, 2010, at 8:22 PM, Greg Niles wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Richard. I have the GE 110 watt PA I only antipate
> needing around 35 watts not going to build a power house just a locat
> repeater. I know I can detune the PA was just trying to cut out the PA for
> simplicity purposes if that is possible.
>
> Greg K9GJN

Greg,

Do you want 35W of RF to the antenna AFTER the duplexer?  You'll have to put in
more than 35W to get 35W out to the antenna in a duplexed system, of course.

Or are you really saying that you want 35W into the duplexer where you'll
probably only have 10-15W at the antenna after that?  (Okay that's an
exaggeration but have you forgotten that a duplexer is relatively a very lossy
device in your TX chain?)

The 110W VHF MASTR II hooked into a properly designed and built antenna system,
with low-loss hardline feeding the antenna (and usually backed off a bit from
110W... no need to run it flat out, but you can... they're rated for it),
proper low-loss jumpers to the duplexer/antenna system, etc... usually yields
just about the right amount of power to make a system "balanced" with 50W
mobiles accessing it.  Unless you're purposely trying to restrict the coverage
area to where a modern 50W mobile with a typical modern sensitivity receiver
can't hear the repeater very well where it can still access it, I'd leave the
110W PA on it.

For a MASTR II, the stock .25uV sensitivity of the receiver (if you tune
carefully and get factory "spec" out of it) will mean you usually need to do
some work on the receive side (adding a very low noise pre-amp and appropriate
large high-Q bandpass cavity in RF noisy environments...) to bring the receiver
sensitivity up to where HT's can get into it pretty nicely in most of its
coverage area in flat-land at 110W, and you'll get those HT's in fine in
virtually ALL of it's coverage area if it's up high (mountain, really tall
building, etc.)

GE built it as a 110W repeater for a reason... think about the "users" at the
time... relatively deaf trunk-mounted radios (made up of the EXACT same
components as the repeater) in Public Safety vehicles with external antennas...
also often running 110W non-continuous-duty...

Anyway, to get back to your question... the UHF 100W PA is "hackable" where you
can easily remove the driver stages and get a lower wattage PA - useful for
links, etc... that you know don't need the power.  But the VHF has a feedback
circuit between the driver section and the first amplification section that
must be dealt with to do a similar modification.

Just run 'er flat out or up around 85-95W... also consider putting an isolator
on it, especially if yours doesn't have the late-model Z-matcher in the
Low-Pass-Filter near the PA's output. The VHF is especially sensitive to not
being driven into a 50 ohm load and they tend to burn up when they're not.  The
factory Z-matcher was supposed to alleviate this, but their tuning instructions
for the thing leave something to be desired.  Easier/more effective to just put
an isolator on the PA output with proper filtering.... again, eating some of
your RF... so 110W starts to look just about right again...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com

http://facebook.com/denverpilot