Hi Eric/all,

It is on a totally different frequency, and licensed as a mobile -
within a 24km radius around the center of our district.

All the fire repeaters in the county have the same output &
input frequencies, just have different input PLs.  Kind of a
pain to go to direct with some older radios... e.g. X9000
which when you push the 'dir' button, it uses the TX PL.

Laryn - these were some pretty high dollar units, so I
wouldn't have expected them to fry the batteries.

I'll look into the AGM bats - the rptr draws about 450
mA in RX, and about 4A in TX.

Getting a Pelican case for the repeater & cables, but
not sure how to make the battery transportable.. I
suppose if it's 'really' sealed, then I wouldn't have to
worry about leakage of the electrolyte - could use
a case for it & the charger.

Any recommendations about appropriate & 'sure-fire'
chargers for one of these?  I could put together something
for float charging, but there will also be a need for 'real'
charging as well.

Thanks again,

Tim