This is such an interesting thread that I decided to bench-test my
hypothesis posted earlier.  Using a DuraComm LP-14N switching power supply
set for 13.8 VDC output, a variable AC power source, and an electronic load,
I tested the power supply to see at what input voltage it would falter, at
various loads.  Here are my findings:

At 1 ampere DC load, faltered at 74.2 VAC input
At 2 ampere DC load, faltered at 76.1 VAC input
At 3 ampere DC load, faltered at 76.9 VAC input
At 4 ampere DC load, faltered at 78.0 VAC input
At 5 ampere DC load, faltered at 80.2 VAC input
At 6 ampere DC load, faltered at 80.8 VAC input
At 7 ampere DC load, faltered at 81.3 VAC input
At 8 ampere DC load, faltered at 83.2 VAC input
At 9 ampere DC load, faltered at 84.4 VAC input
At 10 ampere DC load, faltered at 85.9 VAC input

Even at a 10 ampere DC load, the AC input current was only 3.03 amps.  If
you are provided 85 VAC at a maximum of 4 amperes AC, a switching power
supply appears to be the ideal solution.   I have no doubt that switchers
made by Samlex, Astron, and others will offer similar performance- but, as
always, YMMV.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY