From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Custer
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:43 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] 85VAC to 12 VDC?

Eric Lemmon wrote:
> AJ,
>
> The obvious solution is to connect a commercial switching power supply-
> definitely NOT a linear supply- across the AC source. Most Samlex, Astron,
> and DuraComm switchers can work wonders in such an environment, where
> conventional linear power supplies will surely fail. Don't use a larger
> (higher capacity) power supply than you really need; in this case, larger
is
> not better!

Be careful here... The output of a CATV power supply is not a sine
wave. I'm not sure how these commercial switchers would react to the AC
available from the CATV line. Certainly while switching supplies are
used in the CATV industry to power the amplifiers, nodes, and telemetry,
I don't know if they are made exactly like the ones fed from commercial AC.

It would be much better if he uses a power supply intended to be
connected to the CATV line. These can be scavenged from working surplus
CATV equipment. Several of the ones I'm familiar with can supply an amp
or two at 24 VDC, and that used to feed a regulator or charging circuit
for 12 volts.

Kevin