Why should the hams change at all?  What is the driving force to make this
change in amateur radio? More repeaters, more users??... Even in the major
metro areas with all the supposedly available 2 meter pairs spoken for you can
go for days without hearing anything on these machines other than its ID.  The
demand and use of repeaters is quite different than that of 30 some years ago
and a lot of that has to do with the influx of available, cheap and wide
coverage cell phone service and the internet..  Likewise when was the last time
you heard an autopatch?

The status on 440 and 220 is not that much different... 440 is suffering in
many area from Pave Paws and 220 is probably not as used due to the rarity of
equipment for this band, both transceivers and either off the shelf or easily
converted commercial repeaters.

Where the growth appears to be now is on 900 Mhz... No
ready made "amateur" equipment but a lot of cheap commercial gear easily
converted to ham use, if you ignore the band plan that the ARRL still claims is
valid and use a 25 Mhz split which most of the commercial equipment will easily
 operate..... Hey and it's already "narrow" band.
As long as you don't mind the baby monitors and after all don't we now have the
primary allocation there?

My two cents worth...

Dave WB2FTX