Hi all I'm working on a 1 mc. split repeater using this duplexer.  Transmitter
is a VHF Engineering; output is 1 watt. I'm using a Mastr II receiver with no
preamp.  Interconnect cables are RG142.  The old VHF Engineering receiver
developed problems not worth fixing, so everything is on the bench for the new
receiver and re-tuning.

Desense was always an issue with this repeater, with 1-3db pretty normal.  So I
decided to re-tune the duplexer.  I used a signal generator and receiver.  All
ports were either terminated in 50 ohms or had a 10db pad in series with the
generator and receiver during tuning for minimum signal through the respective
halves.  It seems to tune well and predictably.  However, I'm getting 20db+ of
desense with the duplexer operating into a known good dummy load.  I can reduce
the desense considerably by *winging it* and tuning the cavities while the
repeater is operating.  (Maybe that's the way I should tune it.......!)  So
something isn't right.

I'm not totally convinced that this duplexer wasn't <played with> at some
point, so it is possible that cables in the harness were mixed up.  There is no
labeling or other info on the duplexer, since the metal box that it was in when
new is gone along with the nameplate.  So it is not clear which side is which,
and I may have been trying to use it reversed (although I don't think so).  I
believe that this duplexer was originally ordered for 2M, but I could be wrong,
which could account for some troubles.

So where would I find info on harness cable lengths so I can check them?  Or if
someone has one of these working on 2M and is willing to make some measurements
that would be awesome.  And which half of the duplexer is for the high and low
frequencies?

Laryn K8TVZ