On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, AJ wrote:
> Anyone have a suggestion for a simple 50 ohm signal generator?   I
> have a number of VHF Phelps Dodge duplexers and several UHF flat pack
> duplexers I'd like to be able to test prior to sale and possibly rough
> tune for a few projects duing the waning weeks of winter.   I realize
> a network analyzer would be the best case option for doing this sort
> of work; followed by possibly a service monitor and a spectrum
> analyzer with tracking generator. I currently have an HP spectrum
> analyzer available at work; unfortunately it did not come equiped with
> a tracking generator. It does have a current calibration; I'm guessing
> I could use it to determine the exact output from a signal generator
> and subsequently the insertion loss from the duplexer.

You'd probably want to drive the VCO of the signal generator directly to
make it sweep up, but if you don't have a good baseline on how it's
power level varies over the range, you won't be able to compare with the
antenna response.

Something like an MFJ-259 attached to a sweep generator would probably
do the job. Of course, the MFJ-259 doesn't have great frequency
stability, but you're not staying in one place for very long. Then you
can use the spectrum analyzer for what it does best.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst