I vigorously second Jeff's recommendation.  This is an application where
iron is still the right answer.

Make sure you use twisted pair.  Station wire like that use to wire
houses is often not twisted. Ethernet cable is good and has a high twist
pitch - better for this application.

Repeat coils are the classic answer.  Here's a hint about what you are
looking for if you don't already know:

http://users.snip.net/~mrbibbs/gearpix/Western_Electric_Repeat_Coils_4040.jpg
http://users.snip.net/~mrbibbs/gearpix/Western_Electric_Repeat_Coils_4042.jpg
http://oldphoneguy.net/Coils1.jpg

Jensen's stuff is really nice, but you'd be paying a premium price for
performance you can't use.

If you can't find an old set of repeat coils, most small audio
transformers with reasonable turns ratios will do the job fine.
Reasonable in this case is probably less than 4 or 5:1, though 1:1 would
be best.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you can't find anything easily, the
coupling transformers out of **OLD** modems (1200 Baud or less) are
likely suspects.

--
mailto:o...@ozindfw.net
Rich Osman N1OZ