On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Chris Curtis wrote:
> My favorite is direct burial + shielded cat cable.
>
> I've got some here that I've been using for controller to device
> hookups. As well as the run from the house to the shed.
>
> Shielded with 100% foil and a joke of a braid. It is "flooded" with
> "goo" to keep the moisture out as well.
>
> Nice stuff for the $$

Of course, there's always fiber, but now you have to have power sources
at both ends.

Interestingly enough, I've watched the price of fiber come down over the
last ten years, aside from changing connectors and increasing
patch-panel capacities... Once it is installed properly (and people &
critters kept away) the stuff will last through a few generations of
switch equipment.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst