Gary Schafer wrote:
> Quarter wave length cables are the thing to use to couple the cavities
> together at the antenna connection side of them.
>
> The uhf cavity gets a cable that is a quarter wave length at the VHF
> frequency and the VHF cavity gets a cable that is a quarter wave length at
> the UHF frequency. These connect to a T connector at the antenna line.
>
> This is the same way that you connect TX and RX cavities of a duplexer to an
> antenna.
>
> The UHF cavity loop provides a short circuit at the VHF frequency but the
> quarter wave cable from it transforms the short to an open (high impedance)
> at the T connection so you get no attenuation of the VHF signal there. The
> VHF signal then passes to the VHF cavity as if the UHF cavity was not there.
>

> The same thing happens to the UHF signal going to the other cavity.

I've never heard of that, but it makes sense....

> Without the proper length cables between the cavities and the antenna T
> connector both UHF and VHF signals will be attenuated depending on the luck
> of the cable length.
>
> The quarter wave length cable is the electrical length.
>

> It you are not combining the UHF and VHF signals with cavities then a signal
> splitter should be used. Even a TV cable type splitter will work ok for
> this. Don't worry about it being 75 ohms rather than 50 ohms. Without a
> splitter one receiver can load the input of the other considerably
> (depending on the luck of cable lengths) if just a simple T is used to
> connect the antenna to the two receivers.

I know of a system that has 2 VHF receivers tied to one antenna with a
'T' connector and random coax-deliberately. At the T junction, the
receivers need *many* uV of signal...plus the squelch is all the way
tight. Too many problems with out-of-town junk on the input. So it has
many rx's and a big voter.
It proves your point-if you just use a 'T' connector, it'll be deaf as a
doorknob.