I talked to an owner of a system last night and he confirmed that user ID's are
8 digit, as are talk groups.  There are some numbers that are reserved for
all-call and other things, so the straight math doesn't work out exactly, but
it's so many theoretical users and talk groups, you'd never hit the limit on a
system.  Also there's new features to allow trunking at a site, and multiple
repeaters, but even then... eight digits is plenty for even a large
multi-repeater setup.

It's surprising this info isn't on any web pages anywhere...

Nate