From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kc0mlt
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 7:24 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] AC buzz on VHF

Hello all,

I am in the process of putting up a 2m repeater on what I would consider a
pretty vacant site. There is only one other machine (70cm repeater)
currently out there. My concern is with an AC (60Hz) buzz that comes across
on the VHF band. It doesn't have a signal to it that will key uip a radio,
but when you receive an actual signal you can hear it. We have heard this on
both handhelds and mobiles. This site is unique as it is a dual tower with
old (unused) microwave panels and drums on the bridge at the top of the two
towers. The microwave equipment is no longer hooked up. We have had the
power company totally unhook the power to the site and the buzz was still
present. The nearest high voltage lines are about 1.5 to 2 miles away. You
can not hear the buzz on any AM receiver. Does anybody have a clue as to
what this could be and what we could to do prevent it? We have some thoughts
on the grounding of the guy wire being a cause but we are unsure of that.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Wade
KC0MLT