I am amased to say the least to fathom, how without brute force, less wear
and tare, ( Must have been many years constant retuning ) to wear out the
slug cavity, that allowed the ferrit slug to fall through the threads to the
bottom of the can

most tips and hints have already been covered, and these ideas only help
prevent the slug turning what you need is to stop it falling, but most have
not hit on the reason why it has happened

The reason we inserted the rubber strip was to prevent the tuning slug from
turning due to viabration, the threads are what stops the slug from falling
to the bottom

so lets take the ideas and use them

wax as one person stated help to make the slug adhere ( sticky ) to the
cavity wall threads
one stated thread seal tape,

my favourite is the threadseal tape but not wrapped around the slug, (
Fingers are to fat and podgy ) more cut to length and folded to make a
simulated  rubber band and insert into can, insert slug and tune
i used to use at home when all else failed a thinly sliced piece of pla

Marcus