Doug,
Not to take anything from the SCALA antennas, because they can make some pretty
impressive antennas, but as indicated, the ultra heavy duty antennas are very
spendy. They also make normal antennas that are not designed for extreme
conditions.

Having said that for 440 MHz I really like these Telewave antennas. Telewave
does give a very nice HAM Discount also and these are UPS shippable. These are
rugged antennas and will survive some pretty extreme conditions. We do make a
simple ice bridge above the loops to help break up a major piece of falling ice
to avoid a direct hit on the loops.

http://www.telewave.com/pdf/TWDS-7033.pdf

Best bang for the buck is the two loop ANT 450D3. I have one of these on our
420 linking hub repeater on a site that is typically snowed in about 6 months
each year and it actually will out talk the 444 repeater on a DB Products 8
loop antenna. Another Nice thing is that these are very broad band 406-512 MHZ
and you can adjust the loops to provide the best coverage pattern for your site.

Joe - WA7JAW