28-29 amps is on the high side.  Are you using the amp at more than maybe 5
MHz or so from the original frequency?  Some of the Milcom/Crescend amps are
tunable, but many used fixed-value metal-clad mica capacitors in the base
and collector matching.  The values of the caps and/or their placement along
the microstrips is varied depending on frequency.

While you could experimentally determine the right values/placements using
common sense techniques, it's probably easier just to send it to Crescend to
have them move it to your frequency.  I have a 350 watt Vocom UHF amp that
had the same issue - fixed caps.  After counting how many caps I'd have to
futz with, I concluded it was cheaper to send it to them and letthem do it
for $200.  They turned it around in about a week.

If you need 250 mW in and 100 watts out, a Mastr II PA would do you nicely
(and cheaply!).

                                                --- Jeff WN3A