At 06:15 AM 06/11/10, you wrote:
>On 6/10/2010 8:03 PM, Eric Lemmon wrote:
> > A Gas Tube Arrestor is better suited to telephone lines and RF coaxial
> > cables than to 120 VAC AC power lines.  If used on AC power lines, when
> > fired, they will produce a "bolted short" and cause a great deal of current
> > to flow.  This is not a good thing!
> >
> > Some computer accessory suppliers vigorously market surge arrestors as a
> > must-have accessory, and the American public is being
> brainwashed.  In fact,
> > most computer circuits do not benefit from surge arrestors, and some power
> > strips that include surge arrestors are banned by many large companies as
> > being prone to catch fire.  The gray plastic, half-moon-shaped power strip
> > made by APC is known to be a fire hazard, and my employer (Boeing) banned
> > them after the second fire incident.  In each incident, the MOV
> > spontaneously overheated and melted the plastic case, which then caught
> > fire.  Fortunately, the damage was limited to the wooden shelf it was
> > sitting on in one case, and some scorched carpet in the other.  As a result
> > of these two incidents, the CPSC recommended that any power strip
> be made of
> > metal rather than plastic, and further, that the plug strip containing a
> > surge suppression device always be placed upon a non-combustible
> surface.  A
> > word to the wise...
> >
> > 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY
>

>ummmm.....how come the fuse/circuit breaker didn't trip? Sounds like the
>problem is a defective breaker to me!

Nope, the breaker did just as the designer intended.  The power strip
is designed
to carry 7 to 10 amps and the breaker is sized for that.  The MOV went into
avalanche mode and conducted - pulling several amps.  Now do the math,
120v AC times, oh - pick a number - 3 amps, is 360 watts of heat generated
by a device the size of a large disk ceramic capacitor.

You don't think that 300+ watts of concentrated heat isn't going to do some
damage?

And hot enough to melt a plastic housing?  And maybe char an area of carpet?
Or catch the melted plastic on fire? (remember, most inexpensive plastic
housings are made from petroleum-based plastics).
Remember that 3 amps is a lot less than the trip point of ANY power strip fuse
or breaker.  And it could be 5, 10 or more if it's a 15 amp breaker.

Mike WA6ILQ