I disagree on the price of the CDM's.  You can get the CDM-750 (4-channel)
for as low as $75 to $125 if you watch for them on e-bay.  The CDM-1250 and
CDM-1550 are more expensive used, but still you should be able to get them
for $250 or less if you just have to have the 128 channels and alpha
display.

On our setup, I program the RX CDM for PL on receive, but leave it in
monitor mode.  I then feed the PL detect from the RX radio to the PL encode
of the TX CDM.  When it gets back to the site, if the radio receives a PL,
then it sends the logic out the PL detect pin.  If it doesn't, then no logic
is sent.  This way you can turn the PL tone at all your remote sites locally
with your controller.