Thanks, guys, a good topic and one that always seems to come up. And it sparks more questions and comments, of course.

The cable length issue is a brother to "if you don't like your VSWR, change the point along the transmission line where you're measuring it." By changing the length of the line, we're creating a transmission line transformer (a good thing) but we're limited by its length (not so good). It seems to me the mentioned circulator/isolator at the output of the xmtr is a better fix, as reflections coming back from the duplexer is absorbed by the circulator's load, the xmtr is generally happy, and we're no longer limited where we can put things in a rack or elsewhere.

For amateurs, coming up with usable VHF circulators seems to be difficult and usually expensive, and coax always seems to be cheaper. Has anyone had luck finding a source for reasonbly priced VHF circulators, or success in rolling their own?

Also, I noted in the pamphlet Kevin referenced that the unused duplexer port was left open (Figs. 1 & 2). I guess if the isolation is already greater than the load's return loss, it doesn't matter, at least at the reject frequency. But it seems to me one could possibly create problems for oneself by not terminating the unused open port. Just a thought.

Maybe I work better knowing there's a load there. ;-)

Your comments, please.

73, Russ WB8ZCC