radi...@aol.com wrote:

Sucess!
I completely cleaned and re tinned my Weller 8100 tip, added some solder, and got heat transfer to pop it up. I was not aware of the fish paper that the wires came thru. Now to troubleshoot the amp. It probably has some blown transistors as well as the cooked caps and 12 ohm resistors across some of the finals. We do have a Motorola test set, I have done component level work in the past, but this is out of my league. Kevin, I may take you up on your offer for further help.
Thanks to all who responded.
73, Marty

Consider obtaining a used MICOR mobile (usually can be gotten for $5 to $50) having a power amplifier board of the desired size and transplant it onto your heatsink. The PA assembly for this mobile radio is identical to the one(s) used on the continuous duty MICOR and MSR2000 power amplifiers.

Or, just figure out which stage is bad and replace the transistor(s) that have failed. There is a process I use to easily see which stage is bad. Reply if you need more help.

Kevin