On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:54:14 +0000
Bob Ham <r...@settrans.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-12-13 at 01:59 +0000, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> > I wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't
>
> *ahem*
I think I understand why:

I do understand the visceral need of software freedom. I've have it too.
I feel much much better now that we have 100% free computers, and I
couldn't bare phones that are below a certain level of freedom.

You can't imagine the how good you feel when you can finally send GPG
encrypted mails to other people that have the same freedom(computers
running 100% free software), making conversations really private, for
decades I hope.

Also I don't think you feel good when you're spied 24/24 7/7. This is
human nature.

Having participated in previous conversation on the OpenMoko mailing
list where he was (violently) involved, I feel that it's the issue here.
I might be wrong though.

However as bad as it is, things takes time. GNU was not made in one
day. And at the beginning there was no free software operating system
that run on modern computer of the time.
To fix that issue, GNU was not written in a quick and dirty way.
Its good design decisions contributed greatly to its success.
The downside is that, beside the kernel fiasco(no pun intended), it
still took a very long amount of time.

100% free GNU/Linux distributions appeared around 10 years ago, around
20 years after the start of GNU.

100% free systems, like the Yeeloong Lemote laptops are about 7 years
old. Libreboot is almost 2 years old...

Things take time to be done properly. If not done properly they are not
usable by many people.

So I guess that "Mychaela Falconia" (I guess it's a pseudonym), doesn't
want to wait, and he wants "freedom" now.

Given that he had to wait two years to get the source code he was
looking for, and that the building blocks to have a proper free
software feature phones was out there (Nuttx), I think that
retrospectively, that would have been a better idea for him, than
looking for "leaked source" software.

Given that we cannot change the past.
-> I'd propose to call FreeCalypso "leaked source" instead of "free
   software"
-> People wanting to finish the work that was started to make osmocomBB
   compatible phones usable are free to continue that work. I can even
   give pointers by mail, but there is no guarantee as for how long I
   will take to respond (I've personal issues that I'm currently
   fixing).

Denis.