Hi,

On 2021-08-12 7:17 a.m., Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:20:03 -0700
> Jonathan Bakker <xc-rac...@live.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for all the infos.
>
>> Which of the first-gen Galaxy S modems are you referring to?  Based on
>> the mention of SGH-T959P, I think you're talking about the STE M5730,
>> and not the XMM6160 found in the way more common i9000 (the SGH-T959P
>> is a Canadian variant supporting HSPA+, and is very similar to the
>> American SGH-T959V).
> Basically I'm interested to understand if there is code that works with
> some version of libsamsung-ipc and a port of the modem drivers on top
> of upstream Linux.

Ah, got it.  Yes, I have had modem drivers based on upstream linux working
- in addition to Simon Shield's commits, I had to do a few corrections, see
the commit logs to sipc at [1].  There were previously some issues with
large packets and sending packets I think was totally broken.  Note it may
be different for the i9300.

>> In any event, yes, I have been able to power up the M5730 modems with
>> the modified libsamsung-ipc and mainline-based kernels.  I've had two
>> separate mainline-based drivers that worked on it, one based on the
>> crespo driver [1] and another based on the crespo driver and the sipc
>> interface created for the i9300.  I've also had an Android version
>> working at some point, both with the stock driver as well as a
>> crespo-based driver.
> Did you manage to register to the network or call numbers with any of
> these drivers?
>
> In my case I used the following setup:
> - A Galaxy SIII (GT-I9300)
> - GNU/Linux (Parabola)
> - u-boot from Simon Shields or the stock bootloader (I tried both)
> - Rebased modem patches on top of upstream Linux[1]
> - Modem patches on top of libsamsung-ipc upstream[2]
>
> To test I use the ipc-modem tool to make it call my number like that:
> # ipc-modem --debug --call 06xxxxxxxx start
>
> And the modem boots fine and I can send and receive (some) IPC messages
> but then the modem doesn't register to the network and it doesn't call
> my number (06xxxxxxxx).
>
> After disabling libsamsung-ril on Replicant 6, the same tool results in
> my number being called in Replicant 6, and I recall having it tested it
> with the exact same libsamsung-ipc revision.
>
> There are still many differences between the two setups:
> - The kernel is not the same
> - The "device" driver in libsamsung-ipc is different
> - The OS isn't the same.
> - And in most of my tests the bootloader wasn't the same but I've also
>   tested with the same bootloader on the exact same device.
>
> I've also observed strange behavior with the GPIOs that are between the
> modem and the SOC: for instance I can't change the value of
> the SUSPEND_REQ GPIO, but it changes by itself during the modem
> boostrap, and it's also different between Replicant 6 and Parabola (on
> the same device, with the same bootloader).
>
> I also didn't manage yet to use the same OS / distribution for the
> tests with the downstream and upstream kernels.
>>> Note that it requires the RFS loop to be setup and functional with
>> the various reading messages to work.
> The test tool that I use doesn't handle RFS messages at all!
>
> I assumed that because it worked with the ipc-modem test tool on
> Replicant 6, it should also work on top of an upstream kernel.
>
> I then probably need to add RFS support to the test tool in order to
> keep the test setup simple.
>
> Do you know if the RFS messages need to be processed somehow? Or is it
> supposed to also work if the messages are discarded in your case?

In my case, they are absolutely required with the M5730 - the EFS is loaded
via them :)  I have working implementation of ipc-modem with RFS commands and
auto-answering calls that I have used at [2].  This was working both on mainline
linux as well as in Android.

Jonathan

[1] https://github.com/xc-racer99/linux/commits/modem-v2
[2] https://github.com/xc-racer99/libsamsung-ipc/commits/common-rfs-v2