A zero-length file would be better, so it appears in automatically
generated indexes for users browsing the repository.

MD5 checksums etc can still be hosted within the repository alongside
the dummy jar, so tools can verify that what they get after
download is that which is expected.

Alternatively, require that the repository supports WebDAV,
don't use redirects, instead including the descriptor in
 http://repo.apache.org/sun/jndi/1.2.1/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar
and assign it a content type of "application/artifact-descriptor",
to enable WebDAV aware tools that it is a descriptor rather
than a real jar. Could be misleading for users browsing the
repository however.